
You listed travel as one of your passions.
你说旅行是你的兴趣之一。
Yeah. But actually my passion is airport to airport, what happens between airports.
是的。但实际上,我热爱的部分是“从一个机场到另一个机场”,也就是机场之间发生的一切。
So you like the flying then, the journey?
所以你喜欢的是飞行本身,也就是这个旅程?
Absolutely.
完全是。
What about that do you like?
那你喜欢飞行中的什么?
I love airplanes. Do I love airports? Not really. When I go to an airport I go to the window to look at the airplanes. Since the tender age of five I've always had this passion for airplanes, and my dream was to become an airline pilot.
我喜欢飞机。我喜欢机场吗?不太喜欢。每次我去机场,我都会走到窗边去看飞机。从我五岁那年起,我就对飞机充满热情,我的梦想就是成为一名航空公司飞行员。
Okay. Have you ever flown an airplane?
好吧,那你飞过飞机吗?
Have I ever flown in an airplane?
你是说坐过飞机吗?
Not in an airplane. Have you ever flown an airplane?
不是坐飞机。我是问你有没有亲自驾驶过飞机?
I've never flown an airplane. I've been in the flight deck of a number of aircraft, but I've never flown one.
我从没开过飞机。我进过不少飞机的驾驶舱,但从没亲自飞过。
Okay. So walk us through a trip with Tony. What's going through your mind along the journey from airport to airport?
好吧,那就带我们体验一趟“托尼之旅”。在机场到机场的过程中,你脑子里在想些什么?
Well, just like the other souls on board, I go on, I sit, I buckle my seatbelt. I obey the commands from the cabin crew. I hear the pilots talking over the Intercom. But I take it another step further. I actually listen to the details of what the pilots are saying. I'm thinking about what's the weather going to be like, what's the weather on the ground, what's the surface winds on the runway? All these things that regular passengers don't think about when they're sitting in the seat and they're just like.
嗯,就像机上的其他乘客一样,我登机、坐下、系好安全带,听从机组人员的指示,听飞行员在广播中讲话。但我会更进一步去听,我会认真听飞行员在说什么细节。我会思考天气会怎么样?地面的天气如何?跑道上的风速和风向是怎样的?这些都是普通乘客坐在座位上完全不会想的事。
Yeah. I certainly don't think about that, no. I am probably just relaxing, and maybe once in a while looking out the window, if I'm privileged enough to get a window seat. And just seeing how pretty it is.
是啊,我肯定不会想这些。我通常是在放松,要是运气好坐到靠窗的位子,偶尔看看窗外,觉得风景挺漂亮的,仅此而已。
And if you're looking out, and you say you have a seat just over the wing, you're looking out and you're like, oh, there's the wing. It looks nice, long, okay.如果你坐在机翼旁,看向窗外,也许你会说:“啊,那是机翼,看起来还挺长的,还不错。”
I don't even think that much at any rate.
我甚至连这种程度都不会去想。
Yeah. Yeah. But to me, I'm looking at the wing and I'm like, that's the forward slats, those are the landing flaps, that's the spoiler. Oh, look at the winglet at the end. Yeah.
是啊。但对我来说,我看着机翼会想:“那是前缘缝翼,那是着陆襟翼,那是扰流板。哦,看,翼尖还有个小翼。”
Okay. No, I'm definitely not thinking that at all. So you actually don't care about the cities that you're traveling to, and seeing new places?
好吧,我绝对不会那样想。所以说,你其实并不在意你去的城市,也不在意看新地方?
No, no, no. Don't get me wrong. I actually do. I've had the fortune of visiting some really amazing places, like Glasgow, Scotland, which I do love. Meeting the people, meeting different people actually is something I look forward to. And the architecture and all the fun stuff, like art, artworks and crafts and all that stuff that when you travel you always try to secure before you return home. But yeah, I do, I do like the experiences outside of aviation when it comes to traveling. But for me, you may think it's weird, but it's still aviation for me. That's the top. That's definitely at the top of the list for me. When it comes to flight there are five critical phases. You have takeoff, climb out, cruise, descent and landing. Even at the end of a flight, coming to the end just before landing, the pilots are trying their best to keep the nose of the airplane training down the center line of the runway. After landing, when we're deplaning, I would often stop at the flight deck door and I'll be like, "What happened there just before touchdown?" And the pilots would laugh and be like, "Oh, just a little gust. Nothing really. But we're on the ground, we're safe."
不是,不是,你别误会。其实我还是在意的。我有幸去过一些很棒的地方,比如苏格兰的格拉斯哥,我真的很喜欢那里。遇见新的人、不同的人,这也是我所期待的。而且像建筑啊、艺术啊、手工艺品这些旅行中必不可少的乐趣,我也会尽可能在回家前带一些。但对我来说,你可能觉得奇怪,但我最在意的始终还是航空。这是排在第一位的。一次飞行分为五个关键阶段:起飞、爬升、巡航、下降和着陆。即便是快要结束时,在落地前,飞行员还在尽力让飞机的机头保持在跑道的中心线上。飞机落地、下机的时候,我经常会停在驾驶舱门口,问飞行员:“刚才接地前那一下发生了什么?”飞行员会笑着说:“哦,就一阵小阵风,没什么事。但我们安全着陆了。”
Oh my gosh. So basically you're grading the pilot as you are taking a trip somewhere.
天啊。所以你基本上是在给飞行员打分,顺便去旅行?
Weird. It's so weird, right?
好奇怪吧,真的很奇怪,对吧?
Absolutely. Absolutely weird.
没错,确实很奇怪。
That's what aviation buffs do.
这就是航空迷的日常啦。
Crazy. Crazy.
疯了,疯了。
Altri episodi di "英语每日一听 | 每天少于5分钟"
Non perdere nemmeno un episodio di “英语每日一听 | 每天少于5分钟”. Iscriviti all'app gratuita GetPodcast.