In this episode, we are Digging Deeper into the topic of heaven. Listen in as members of Perimeter’s teaching team talk through questions like: Can our loved ones see us in heaven? Are they aware of what's happening on Earth? And, what might they be thinking about in heaven? We will also discuss what all the references to a place called sheol in the Old Testament are talking about? And, what we make of popular books on the afterlife. Big Takeaway: Scripture may be silent on some of the details about heaven, but the focal point of heaven is clear. Heaven isn’t so much about a place where all our longings are satisfied but rather, it’s primarily about a Person in whom all our longings are satisfied. Application Questions: Do you long for heaven? Is your hope for heaven set on being in the presence of Jesus? What’s the reality of heaven and what misconceptions might you have to let go of? Are you resting in the assurance of heaven? Check out episode notes at perimeter.org/DD-11-Notes.
More episodes from "Digging Deeper Podcast"
18. Digging Deeper: Advent Series-The Importance of the Incarnation and Why it Matters to Our Daily Lives As Believers - Jeff Norris | Dr. Michael ReevesToday Jeff sits down with Dr. Michael Reeves in part two of the Advent series Digging Deeper podcast. They dig deep into the doctrine of the incarnation and examine what it means for us, as believers, for the God of the universe to come down to earth to live and walk among us, and even more so, why should we care about that part of the story. Check out episode notes at perimeter.org/DD-E18-Notes. The video of this episode is available on the Perimeter Church YouTube channel.
17. Digging Deeper: Advent Series-The Mystery of the Incarnation is the Intimacy of God - Jeff Norris | Dr. Bryan ChapellIn this special episode of the Digging Deeper podcast-Advent edition, we talk about the implications and practicalities of the incarnation. Jeff Norris sits down with Dr. Bryan Chapell, Stated Clerk of the Presbyterian Church in America, to unpack the very truths and realizations of why Jesus came to us as a babe in a manger; to both save us and to love us as God only can. Big Takeaway: Our prayer for you this Advent season is that God would move and stir within us the affections for Him, that we would experience the awe and wonder of what God has done for us through Christ in the incarnation. Check out episode notes at perimeter.org/DD-E17-Notes. The video of this episode is available on the Perimeter Church YouTube channel.
16. Digging Deeper: Worship Together - Jeff Norris | Caleb Click | Laura Story ElvingtonOne of the main emphases of this most recent sermon series, Worship Together, has been the regathering process of the Church as we reflect on where we’ve been over the past year through the pandemic. In this episode of Digging Deeper, Jeff Norris leads the conversation on why it’s important for us to gather together as God’s people on a weekly basis. Check out episode notes at perimeter.org/DD-E16-notes.
15. Exodus: Provision in the Wilderness - Jeff Norris | Caleb Click | Bob CargoIn this episode of Digging Deeper, the teaching team, Jeff, Caleb, and Bob, conclude their series on Exodus and dig deeper in chapters 16-20 as well as themes found in and around the 10 commandments. Jeff and the guys talk about the correlation between the 10 commandments and what Paul writes about in Galatians and how we as believers can look at the Law through the lens of a Heavenly Father who loves, cares and wants the best for His children. Check out episode notes at perimeter.org/DD-E15-notes.
14. Digging Deeper: The Wilderness of Life - Jeff Norris | Caleb Click | Bob CargoAs we continue our Sunday morning study through the Book of Exodus, Jeff Norris sits down with Caleb Click and Bob Cargo to dig a little deeper into Chapters 16 and 17. They talk through what God has taught them through their own personal study and preparation for this series, but also discuss the beautiful display of the great story of redemption God is telling throughout the whole Bible, from Genesis to Revelation. We see the theme that is not just about Exodus and the Israelites going into the wilderness after they crossed the Red Sea, but the wilderness theme throughout the entire Bible. Big Takeaway: Life itself is wilderness and even more it’s filled with subsequent wildernesses, but in our wilderness there is a Savior that not only saves but nourishes us as he leads us into the Promise Land. Application Questions: - It’s not a matter of will God lead me into the wilderness, but what does my faith look like in the wilderness? - Why is it that we find ourselves longing for realities of life pre-redemption? Check out episode notes at perimeter.org/DD-E14-notes.
13. Digging Deeper: Heaven (Part Two) - Jeff Norris | Caleb Click | Travis Vaughn | Jimmy AganIn this second part of Jeff and Caleb’s discussion with Travis and Jimmy, the conversation continues with some specific realities the word of God teaches us about the new heavens and new earth. Check out episode notes at perimeter.org/DD-E13-notes.
12. Digging Deeper: Heaven (Part One) - Jeff Norris | Caleb Click | Travis Vaughn | Jimmy AganIn this latest episode of the Digging Deeper podcast, Jeff Norris and Caleb Click sit down with Metro Atlanta Collective Executive Director, Travis Vaughn, and Senior Pastor of Intown Community Church, Jimmy Agan to continue digging into the topic of heaven. The guys unpack what Scripture reveals to us about the new heavens and the new earth, when Christ returns and renews all things for who are in Him. Big Takeaway: Jesus has already experienced everything we will in the New Heavens and the New Earth and when looking to eternity, we should keep our eyes fixed on Him. The New Heavens and the New Earth can be described as the best of all after experiencing "better" walking with Jesus here on Earth, best in sharing in Heaven with seeing Jesus face to face and best when Jesus returns and we experience the New Heavens and the New Earth. Application Questions: How does thinking of Heaven quicken my heart, engage my imagination and stir affection and longing for the reality of what is to come both in the better that to be with the Lord, which is better by far, but even in the best, the New Heavens, the New Earth? How might this be giving you some new paradigms and new categories to think in, but ultimately getting us back to that reality that it's all about Jesus. How has this conversation stirred more anticipation, longing and affection for Jesus? Check out episode notes at perimeter.org/DD-E12-notes.
11. Digging Deeper: Heaven - Jeff Norris | Caleb Click | Eric RyanIn this episode, we are Digging Deeper into the topic of heaven. Listen in as members of Perimeter’s teaching team talk through questions like: Can our loved ones see us in heaven? Are they aware of what's happening on Earth? And, what might they be thinking about in heaven? We will also discuss what all the references to a place called sheol in the Old Testament are talking about? And, what we make of popular books on the afterlife. Big Takeaway: Scripture may be silent on some of the details about heaven, but the focal point of heaven is clear. Heaven isn’t so much about a place where all our longings are satisfied but rather, it’s primarily about a Person in whom all our longings are satisfied. Application Questions: Do you long for heaven? Is your hope for heaven set on being in the presence of Jesus? What’s the reality of heaven and what misconceptions might you have to let go of? Are you resting in the assurance of heaven? Check out episode notes at perimeter.org/DD-11-Notes.
10. Digging Deeper: Chasing Truth And Finding Jesus In The Midst Of It All - Jeff Norris | Eric Ryan | Tony Thomas | Ryan Brown | Jimmy KimIn today’s episode of Digging Deeper, all four pastors taking us through our current sermon series, Chasing Truth, gather around the table to discuss what it means for us, as believers, to dive deeper into God’s unfolding word. Jeff Norris is joined by Eric Ryan--Executive Director of Shepherding and Spiritual Growth, along with Jimmy Kim--Director of Family Transformation, Ryan Brown--Pastor of Discipleship, and Tony Thomas--Assistant Director of City Impact share different passages of Scripture of which the Lord has pressed in a deeper interpretation throughout their spiritual journey. Instead of looking back at what has already been taught and digging deeper into points not addressed on a Sunday morning, the group shares their hopes and longings for the listener each week as the series continues over the next three weeks. Big Takeway: The word of God is bigger than we can fathom and the meaning behind scripture can be a mystery. But in the unfolding nature of God’s word, I can rest and find joy in knowing there is a lifetime of walking with God before us that we can begin to understand more and more. Application Question: What passage of scripture has God used in your life to reveal more of Himself? Check out episode notes at perimeter.org/DD-10-Notes.
09. Digging Deeper: God’s Unexpected Storyline For The Early Church - Jeff Norris | Caleb Click | Jimmy KimIn this episode of the Digging Deeper podcast, Jeff chats with Director of Family Transformation Jimmy Kim and Pastor of Spiritual and Theological Formation Caleb Click about the underlying theme of ‘unexpected’ woven throughout the book of Acts. Many of the events of the early church were not what many would have seen of God’s way of advancing His kingdom and many of the events seemed even devastating to first century Christians. But as the guys discuss, we see God’s unexpected way of bringing His Church together. Big Takeaway: Living a Spirit-led, Spirit-filled life is no doubt going to take you down paths that you wouldn't have chosen. But in doing so, a Spirit-filled, Spirit-led life is going to lead you into God's saturated realities, that you would have otherwise missed. Application Question: What does it look like to surrender our rights for the sake of the gospel and for the sake of unity within the Church? Check out episode notes at perimeter.org/DD-E9-Notes.